New here or never introduced yourself?
JazzaEK
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Drives: Ford Fiesta
Refferer: Search Engine

False tailgate open message

Post by JazzaEK »

This is my first post to the forum and I want to make owners aware of the solution in case they have this issue. The tailgate button under the number plate can suffer water ingress. The result is a false message that the tailgate is open, the interior lights in the footwell stay on and over night the battery is flattened.

The solution is a wee bit tricky involving removing the trim from the tailgate by using a non metallic lever to prise off 6 or so clips. Once removed you need to remove the number plate mounting panel by loosening 6 or so 10mm nuts. Inside that panel is the tailgate switch and no.plate lights. The switch is easily removed and has 4 miniature Philips screws to get into it. Having removed the number plate panel water penetration is pretty obvious and opening the tailgate switch you are likely to find water has got in. Dry it, spray with WD40 or othe water repellent spray and seal the switch with a little silicone sealant. Replace all and, Bob's your uncle!

Any doubts, check the Haynes manual for tips on removing trim and fixings and check YouTube where there are several videos for other cars, but the principle is similar.

My experience was first contacting a mobile auto-electrician, who pretended to make an adjustment and did nothing. He took £40 for ripping me off. So if you have this water ingress and don't feel confident at the diy approach, as long as you know the technician removes the panels to get to the contacts inside you will get it sorted for about an hour's labour.

Hopefully this helps some members, as it's likely the older the model is.

Happy fiesta driving!

{text-align: center;}
jam_rs
Site Admin
Site Admin
Drives: Fiesta XR2i 2.3 Turbo
Refferer: Me! Im the Boss!

Re: False tailgate open message

Post by jam_rs »

Welcome to the forum, glad that you managed to get on and post up! (Have only just seen your email!)

Thanks for the tip, I'm sure that it will come in useful for many.

Enjoy the site.
http://www.stevecookedjservices.co.uk - Mobile DJ Services- Herts & Essex
http://www.fiestamk7.com - A UK Based Forum Dedicated To The Fiesta Mk7