H.I.D'S/ Laws

General car related chat, questions, advice and important information about FiestaMk7.com
If you have a problem/technical/modification/tuning question please use the appropriate forum.
sheffgaz
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: 1.6 tdci zetec s
Refferer: Google

H.I.D'S/ Laws

Post by sheffgaz »

I am just wondering how easy it is to fit hid's and what are the regulations on having them in my car i.e would it pass mot which ones are best ??

{text-align: center;}
mattgibson
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: Zetec S
Refferer: Zsoc

H.I.D'S/ Laws

Post by mattgibson »

just take them out for the mot ;) they aren't supposed to pass mot now but i'm sure if you slip a fiver they will

sheffgaz
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: 1.6 tdci zetec s
Refferer: Google

Re: H.I.D'S/ Laws

Post by sheffgaz »

ok cheers where is the best place to get them from ?

Nath
Fiesta Mk7 Major Contributor
Fiesta Mk7 Major Contributor
Drives: Fiesta MK7 Zetec-S TDCi

Post by Nath »

Law = illegal without washer jets & auto-leveling motors, which yours wouldn't have.

mattgibson
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular

H.I.D'S/ Laws

Post by mattgibson »

at the end of the the day you break the law everyday by speeding, this is just the same. if you get caught just take them out. keep your standard headlights in your dash.

i've had a lot of trouble with xenonsonline so I wouldn't use them. try hidsuk or something.

avensss
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Drives: ford fiesta 1.4 trend 5dr
Refferer: Search Engine

Post by avensss »

hi guys

ive just joined this forum. with regards to the HIDs, it is quiet easy to install as long as you buy the correct kit.purchase a H7 kit that would be for normal driving lights replacement.preferably a 6000k kit not too bright where it looks suspicious(they come in 6000k,8000k and 10000k)10000k is actually very bright and thats what will get you in trouble,you cant even look at them when they are on.also the HIDs do give of heat so i would think that 10000k mite just melt your headlights coz they made of plastic.i havent had a prob with cops and stuff with the 6000K. to install you have to remove the headlights,remove the plug first,then the two screws on the top of the headlight(one close to the windscreen and the other close to the grille.remove the clip that holds the headlight to the grille.then you need to firmly pull up on the headlight as there is a clip that is under it,dont worry it wont break.once the headlights are out you can remove the rubber covers and disconnect the original bulbs,remove the metal clip that holds the plug and globe together.two torq type screws hold the globe with the metal clip in place.twist to remove.once all is disconnected and globes are out,loosen the two screws a bit.now the tricky part,feed the two cables of the HID globe through the centre of the metal clip,once that is done place the globe in the headlight with metal clip on it and put in the same locking position as the std globes then tighten the torq screws to hold the clip in place.next make a hole in the rubber cover and feed the globe wires through.feed the two spade terminals through the hole to the inside of the headlight and connect them to the orginal globe plug.once that is done place the cover on the back of the headlight.now connect the HID ballasts and youre done.you can mount the ballasts anywhere so they dont move around.dont secure the headlights yet,after youve atached both globes and ballasts palce the headlight light in place, dont clip it on, plug the main plug on and test the lights,if they dont come on then the wires from the ballast going to the inside of the headlight are crossed(positive to negative,similar to led lights positve is postive and negative is negative)just swop the spade terminals of the ballast and it should work.be sure to switch the lights off and ignition off before swopping the terminals,otherwise it can give you a nasty shock(23000v)or pop the headlight fuse.

another point put a higher ampage fuse in coz i noticed the 10amp fuse does not last very long because the ballasts actually boost the voltage.

anyways hope this helped.

mattgibson
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular

H.I.D'S/ Laws

Post by mattgibson »

Mine are 6000k and you can't look into them without blinding yourself haha.

ukd4v1d
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: Fiesta
Refferer: google

Post by ukd4v1d »

I think it's pretty lame that ford don't actually do HID headlights for the fiesta!! had them on my Focus ST they were awesome :)