Insurance!!!

General car related chat, questions, advice and important information about FiestaMk7.com
If you have a problem/technical/modification/tuning question please use the appropriate forum.
ian05hunter
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: 1.4 Zetec

Insurance!!!

Post by ian05hunter »

My son who is 18, has 3 points on his licence tried to get insurance for a fiat Punto,he was quoted anything from £4000 to silly amounts.I have a Motability car, i phoned the motability insurance up and asked how much to put him onto my policy, i was expecting them to say some silly amount, and they did........nothing,no pounds in fact freeeeeeeee! My point is how can he be quoted £4000 on a car worth about £700 when he can get onto my insurance to drive a brand new Fiesta Zetec for nothing? He has since sold his car and now drives mine......

{text-align: center;}
karl
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: Zetec Sport

Re: Insurance!!!

Post by karl »

Thats fine if he is only an occasional driver, but if he then drives the car more than you then it becomes dodgy.
Don't think that he could be cute and won't disclose that he's only an occasional driver if he's stopped., kids have an uncanny knack of dropping themselves and others into the sticky brown stuff.

andyessex
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: S1600 134
Refferer: Search Engine

Post by andyessex »

you will be suprised, but, newer cars are often cheaper to insure, when i first insured my zetec S i had never had my 'own' policy just as named driver, i had an accident on my record as well, however, the insurance on a brand new petrol zetec S was £900 a year whereas the older shape zetec S was around £1400, when i asked about the difference he said it is because they survey who buys cars and how many are written off etc, why the citroen saxo became so hard to insure..... so now the new fiesta has been out a couple years, its more popular, more have been involved in accidents and hence the insurance has gone up, as well as it just going up in general anyway :(

DGZS
Fiesta Mk7 Major Contributor
Fiesta Mk7 Major Contributor
Drives: Fiesta ZS
Refferer: google suggestion

Post by DGZS »

I think sometimes they just make up the cost of insurance. I had a modified focus st170, id spent at least £3000 on it and declared everything to the insurance company, it cost me £400 to insure. Asked them for a quote when i changed to my 2 year old zs and they wanted an extra £150. There reasoning was that its a newer car and that it didnt matter that my focus was twice as powerful, modified and more likely to be stolen!

grin factor
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: Mk7 1.25 Zetec

Post by grin factor »

Both my daughters had similar situations trying to get their first insurance. By adding myself, or wife as an additional driver it halved the amount.

robphipkin25
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: mk7 fiesta

Post by robphipkin25 »

insurance is stupid till you become 21. because under 21 lads are all clased as boy racers.
if you get a family hatch back such as 1.6 focus is cheaper to insure than a 1.4 fiesta as the fiesta is clased as boy racer car.
thats why when i turend 21 i got a 2009 zetec s which was cheaper than my 1.6 focus before hand.

merlyman2009
Fiesta Mk7 Poster
Fiesta Mk7 Poster
Drives: 1.4tdci
Refferer: Search Engine

Post by merlyman2009 »

andyessex wrote:you will be suprised, but, newer cars are often cheaper to insure, :(
Correct for me, my 2009 fiesta tdci fully comp is £100 cheaper for me to insure than 1997 fiat brava third party.
The anti theft on newer cars brings it down a lot as well.