OCD about oil perhaps?

General car related chat, questions, advice and important information about FiestaMk7.com
If you have a problem/technical/modification/tuning question please use the appropriate forum.
Ecosse
Fiesta Mk7 Poster
Fiesta Mk7 Poster
Drives: Fiesta Zetec
Refferer: Search Engine

OCD about oil perhaps?

Post by Ecosse »

Hi all.
Like to throw this one out there with you.
We bought a low miles for our lad (7,341) mint 1.25 Zetec yesterday.
It had been owned by an elderly couple how did around 3k per annum since it's January 2015 PDI.
I've done my homework re the Zetec oils, and come to the conclusion that depite the car being hardly "run in"...the oil is old...by my standards anyway.
It would seem prudent to have it changed out ahead of schedule despite the considerable cost as my son (based in Cattrick) will be disappearing with it in two weeks.
Or, am I being a bit over worried and wait till the 12,500 service?
We run 2 Mx5's, mine is 24 years old and hers a Mk2.5 with essentially the same engines...they are both still tight as I do an oil filter every 6k...but they are old tech by comparison.
The way I see it is oil is cheaper than rings & bearings..and I suspect it's miles will have been all short trips to Tesco & Church..and perhaps rarely hit full working temperatures.
Any relevant views with the experienced folks here would be appreciated

{text-align: center;}
jam_rs
Site Admin
Site Admin
Drives: Fiesta XR2i 2.3 Turbo
Refferer: Me! Im the Boss!

Re: OCD about oil perhaps?

Post by jam_rs »

I would of thought that it would be more than OK to the specified service interval; 12.5k or 1 year. Iv'e seen many Fords that have been serviced every 12.5K and gone well into the 150K mileage areas.

However, it won't harm it at all to do it early! I think the most important thing is to use a good quality filter (genuine) and a oil approved to the correct spec (not 'meets' the requirements).

I have a S Class that I change the oil on every 10K - now on 260K and runs sweet as!
http://www.stevecookedjservices.co.uk - Mobile DJ Services- Herts & Essex
http://www.fiestamk7.com - A UK Based Forum Dedicated To The Fiesta Mk7

Ecosse
Fiesta Mk7 Poster
Fiesta Mk7 Poster

Post by Ecosse »

I do love fast Fords.
Had a Vulcan steel /Burton headed/Mike the Pipe extracted Capri 2.8i a while back, complete with the Scorpion handling kit, poly bushed, with rear disc conversion, Sierra gearbox.
Never found out what bhp it had, but I reckoned around 210/220 bhp. All I know is, I was getting around 6k out a set of rears. No matter how I experimented with pressures, the centre treads kinda evaporated. Best thing was..the car looked 100% factory.

CarlW
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: Titanium TDCi
Refferer: Google

Post by CarlW »

If it was PDI'd in January 2015 it should have had its first service in Jan 2016 (12 months or 12,500m whichever comes 1st) - otherwise the 3yr Ford warranty is probably no longer valid - on the engine anyway!

Have you checked the service book, was it stamped in Jan 2016?

Ecosse
Fiesta Mk7 Poster
Fiesta Mk7 Poster

Post by Ecosse »

It was indeed stamped in January 2016. Main Dealer in Dundee, and original supplier.
I don't trust main dealers one inch..with substantial reasons & 4 decades of mixed experiences so I figure new oil etc is a cheap insurance policy.