Headlamp Bulbs Blowing Mk7

Any modifications/technical issues & tuning questions, help, suggestions & advice on;Maintenance, Servicing, Suspension, Interior, Exterior, ECU's, Alarms, ICE?. Help is at hand in here. Need for speed? Got a question or just browsing for ideas? Or see if your knowledge can help someone out.

Basically, if you have a problem or question about your Fiesta Mk7 - Post in here!
shabazmo
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: fiesta
Refferer: Search Engine

Headlamp Bulbs Blowing Mk7

Post by shabazmo »

I have had the fiesta for 4.5 years and have gone through 6 H7 headlamp bulbs. Is this common or is there some thing wrong with the car. 4 of the bulbs have been performace bulbs from Philips and Osram. I have now switched to cheaper versions.
Ford Fiesta 2009. 1.4 petrol, 5 door, Titanium, Black, F&R park sensors, leather seats, Key free system, power starter button, bluetooth, USB, 7 spoke 16" alloys, rear electric windows, curtain airbags. Built 20 March Delivery 19 April 09. 55,000miles bought new.

{text-align: center;}
shabazmo
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular

Re: Headlamp Bulbs Blowing Mk7

Post by shabazmo »

I heard that there is a TSB which requires the fitting of a resistor to stop the problem.
Ford Fiesta 2009. 1.4 petrol, 5 door, Titanium, Black, F&R park sensors, leather seats, Key free system, power starter button, bluetooth, USB, 7 spoke 16" alloys, rear electric windows, curtain airbags. Built 20 March Delivery 19 April 09. 55,000miles bought new.

CarlW
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: Titanium TDCi
Refferer: Google

Post by CarlW »

I'd see how you get on with standard bulbs first. My guess is that to get more light from the performance bulbs they are designed to run the filament slightly hotter with the result that they are more fragile and don't last as long if a resister is fitted in series with the supply to the bulbs it will reduce the voltage at the bulb resulting in less light output - probably meaning the performance bulbs give out light more equivalent to a standard bulb anyway.

shabazmo
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular

Post by shabazmo »

Thanks for the feedback. I will get my local Ford dealer to investigate. The original bulbs lasted just over a year, so I think a resistor will be justified.

shabazmo
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular

Post by shabazmo »

I have just purchased 2x wires for the headlamps and fitted them today. A fairly simple job but he cost of the wires were £34. What a rip off, and for a TSB which is a design fault in the forst place. I think Ford are trying to be a Ferrari for parts prices.