Clunky Uneven Revs

Any modifications/technical issues & tuning questions, help, suggestions & advice on;Maintenance, Servicing, Suspension, Interior, Exterior, ECU's, Alarms, ICE?. Help is at hand in here. Need for speed? Got a question or just browsing for ideas? Or see if your knowledge can help someone out.

Basically, if you have a problem or question about your Fiesta Mk7 - Post in here!
allyzetecs
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: Fiesta Zetec S
Refferer: Google

Clunky Uneven Revs

Post by allyzetecs »

Hi Guys

Wondering if anyone could help?

I have had a engine trouble from around the 2nd week of owning my Ford Fiesta Zetec S Mk7 58 plate on 14800 miles (now 17000).

I had the car back at the dealer for two days and they couldn't fault it - it is still doing the same thing.

I would say this happens on a cold start, but more usually between short runs - turn engine on, revs struggle to find idle point clunking noises as revs try to idle (at this point the needle is still at 0 on the rev counter) turn off, turn back on, revs up to 1500 and then down to around 1100 - normal idle is around 600-800??

Even without doing the clunking 0 revs, on start up, everytime, the revs hit 1200-1500 and back down to 1100 idle, once driven and heated up idles at around 700.

My thoughts is that this is the idle control valve - anyone had this problem before - warranty is up at end of february so want to get something sorted asap!

Thanks for any help guys

{text-align: center;}
Blueoval09
Fiesta Mk7 Major Contributor
Fiesta Mk7 Major Contributor

Clunky Uneven Revs

Post by Blueoval09 »

I'd be inclined to say it's something to do with the alternator, the feed for the rev gauge is usually taken from it hence the zero rev reading and the rough running would make me think there's a drop in current, meaning a lack of voltage at the ignition coils, the clunky noise may be worn bearings causing the shaft to move about, easy way to check the bearing play is to take the tension off the alternator belt, get hold of the pulley and try wiggling it up & down or side to side, hopefully i'm wrong but i've had similar problems on older cars!

allyzetecs
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Refferer: Google

Re: Clunky Uneven Revs

Post by allyzetecs »

thanks for getting back to me mate! sorry about the late reply! still looking in to the problem, its getting worse!