Squeaking Gear Lever When Changing Gear...

Any modifications/technical issues & tuning questions, help, suggestions & advice on;Maintenance, Servicing, Suspension, Interior, Exterior, ECU's, Alarms, ICE?. Help is at hand in here. Need for speed? Got a question or just browsing for ideas? Or see if your knowledge can help someone out.

Basically, if you have a problem or question about your Fiesta Mk7 - Post in here!
Specus
Fiesta Mk7 Poster
Fiesta Mk7 Poster
Drives: Ford Fiesta Zetec
Refferer: Tapatalk

Squeaking Gear Lever When Changing Gear...

Post by Specus »

My 2009 Fiesta Zetec went into my Ford dealer Wednesday to have a few things looked at;

1) Squeaky gear lever when changing gear (manual gearbox) is worse changing down and when car cabin is warm - drives me nuts!

2) Crunching when selecting reverse gear...salesman suggested I get this looked at but I reckon this is just one of those things.

3) Uneven tickover when engine warm...this is likely just the way the engine is (1.25 litre engine) but when I asked the service guy when booking it in he said they would check it out.

Got car back. The gear cable (presumably linkage) was dry and needed lubricating. They greased either end and said it would work its way along and lubricate the whole thing. That was done under warranty.

Crunching reverse - all checked out ok. Told me to wait five seconds before engaging reverse to allow flywheel to stop spinning. So that is just one of those things.

Uneven tick over is just how the car is. All checked out and all ok.

Hope that helps anyone with similar problems.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using Tapatalk

{text-align: center;}
Blueoval09
Fiesta Mk7 Major Contributor
Fiesta Mk7 Major Contributor
Drives: Fiesta Zetec S

Re: Squeaking Gear Lever When Changing Gear...

Post by Blueoval09 »

I'd tell the garage to retrain the mechanic, if the flywheel stops spinning after 5 seconds then the engine would have stalled! Could be a slightly low oil level as it's doubtful the synchromesh would be buggered after 4 years unless it'd been used on a track or been round the clock a couple of times

marshboy
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: Mk7 ZS TDCI
Refferer: Owner

Post by marshboy »

All ford crunch in reverse its a straight cut none synchro gear!
Pop it in 3rd first then reverse it just slows the gearbox down like holdin the clutch down
500mile+ to a tank £20 tax and a right laugh to drive what more do u need!

project: http://www.fiestamk7.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=642

Mikeypaine
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: S1600
Refferer: Google

Post by Mikeypaine »

Yeah got nothing to do with flywheel haha it just needs to sync the meshes.
As for the ticking it's just a characteristic of the engine. The cables drying and squeezing is not common, I replaced a set once and holy quacamoley. Never again.