Clonking from steering column

Any modifications/technical issues & tuning questions, help, suggestions & advice on;Maintenance, Servicing, Suspension, Interior, Exterior, ECU's, Alarms, ICE?. Help is at hand in here. Need for speed? Got a question or just browsing for ideas? Or see if your knowledge can help someone out.

Basically, if you have a problem or question about your Fiesta Mk7 - Post in here!
Specus
Fiesta Mk7 Poster
Fiesta Mk7 Poster
Drives: Ford Fiesta Zetec
Refferer: Tapatalk

Clonking from steering column

Post by Specus »

My 2009 1.25l Fiesta went into dealer to look at clonking coming from steering column when doing parking manoeuvres. Having read around on the internet this seems to be quite a common problem requiring lubrication of the steering column...or its a sensor of some description. Will let everyone know what they say when I get it back.

They reckon that where the steering column joins the steering rack it can dry out (due to the telescopic nature of the column for the steering wheel adjustment), so they took a stretch bolt out, pulled the steering column away from where it connects to the steering rack, thoroughly packed it out with grease, and put a new stretch bolt on and reconnected. They checked and said there was no damage present to the steering column, as I had only been having the problem a few weeks on and off I assume no permanent damage had been done.

The service guy showed me a copy of the Technical Service Bulletin (it was dated 19th October 2010) and it shows photographs of the bolt and area that needed greasing, all inside the cabin of the car.

Drove it back from the dealer to work and felt a lot tighter, and has been perfectly fine since.

Hopefully this will be of some help to people with similar problems.

{text-align: center;}
skyrice
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: WS Zetec?
Refferer: googled fiesta mk7

Re: Clonking from steering column

Post by skyrice »

I've been having the same problem. Mentioned it to the workshop when I took it in for a service and they quoted on replacing the entire steering column. Might have to ring around some other workshops. So thanks in advance, I'm sure you've just saved me a few hundred $.

Mikeypaine
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: S1600
Refferer: Google

Post by Mikeypaine »

Common issue. Incorrect grease from factory. Tsb only takes ten minutes

jmitton
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: fiesta
Refferer: Search Engine

Post by jmitton »

Can anyone get hold of the TSB for this problem??

Jonathan

Supercharged
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Refferer: googles

Post by Supercharged »

Same thing with my GF's... it's just the lower bolt you need to replace (and must replace as it's a stretch bolt) and the torque is 34Nm

I spoke to a Ford tech when I ordered it and he showed me the PTFE based maintenece spray they use (Similar to Wurth's 2040 WD40 equivalent) which can be bought for around £4. He said the early cars had no grease from the factory which I found to be correct as I found the UJ had started to rust slightly!!!

Seems a lot better now but still very slightly notchy - if it persists I will replace the column/UJ part - he said it could also be track rod ends but I've checked these and seem fine. Car has not even done 50k miles yet!!

I have the TSB also but I don't think this forum allows attachments.