Tow bar

Any modifications/technical issues & tuning questions, help, suggestions & advice on;Maintenance, Servicing, Suspension, Interior, Exterior, ECU's, Alarms, ICE?. Help is at hand in here. Need for speed? Got a question or just browsing for ideas? Or see if your knowledge can help someone out.

Basically, if you have a problem or question about your Fiesta Mk7 - Post in here!
Bits-left-over
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: JA8 5dr 1.6TDCi Titanium
Refferer: Search Engine

Tow bar

Post by Bits-left-over »

Just in case anyone is thinking of fitting a towbar, I've just fitted one but there have been a couple of issues getting it finished. Not sure if that's because I've bought the wrong version, or if I've just fitted it badly. The tow bar itself is a Witter F181AU & the whole kit, including the detachable swan neck & 7-pin electric connector, is F181AQ. The problem is that the swan neck plates on the crossbar press hard against the tyre well (see red arrow in pic below) & I've followed the instructions exactly. (There aren't any 'reproduction/copying/copyright' warnings on any of the supplied paperwork but please delete photos if I'm breaching any rules).

It also means that I can't fit the safety chain attachment plate (the plate in the foreground in that first pic). I've contacted Witter to ask their advice or to see if I've been supplied the wrong part in the kit. If I use the holes on the side arms for the 2017+/mk8 models as per the instructions (middle left of pic below), the crossbar will sit about 20mm further away from the chassis so I'll be able to fit the safety chain plate properly, however, the bumper might not fit properly.

I've noticed that sometimes on websites & forums, the mk version & year get mixed up, so it could be a mistake on the instructions, although the rest of the instructions are fine. I'll post any reply I get from Witter.

Anyone else had trouble fitting one of these tow bars? I've taken loads of photos if anyone wants them, including getting the bumper off. I'll put up another post of the OEM electrics & module being installed.

======================================================
Update 04 Nov 21.

I received a reply from Witter - they recommended cutting the safety chain plate to make it fit. I thought they might try to work out why it wouldn't fit. No mention of me fitting it incorrectly or receiving the wrong parts.

I’m smart enough to know I'm thick.