Help Identifying Fiesta Manual Transmission Bolt

Any modifications/technical issues & tuning questions, help, suggestions & advice on;Maintenance, Servicing, Suspension, Interior, Exterior, ECU's, Alarms, ICE?. Help is at hand in here. Need for speed? Got a question or just browsing for ideas? Or see if your knowledge can help someone out.

Basically, if you have a problem or question about your Fiesta Mk7 - Post in here!
diogoccas
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Refferer: Google

Help Identifying Fiesta Manual Transmission Bolt

Post by diogoccas »

Hello guys,

I decided to start learning about car mechanics some weeks ago. I still have a lot to learn, however last weekend I ventured changing the oil myself. It all went fine, however it was my first time ever, so when I was trying to find the oil plug I loosened a certain transmission bolt thinking it was the right one.

I didn't totally unscrew it, and I tried screwing it back again the best I could.

I was hoping if you could help finding exactly what bolt that is and its specific torque value so that I can screw it back the right way.

I'll add a picture to clarify what bolt I'm saying.

Picture: https://ibb.co/WWDr4X2

Details about the car:
Ford Fiesta Sedan 2014
Sigma 1.6 TiVCT Petrol
5 speed manual transmission

Thank you very much!

{text-align: center;}
diogoccas
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Refferer: Google

Re: Help Identifying Fiesta Manual Transmission Bolt

Post by diogoccas »

I think I found exactly what bolt that is.

So, for future reference, if anyone encounters this problem again, I'm gonna write up what I figured out.

My headache started when I couldn't locate the exact bolt on the workshop manual for this car. I don't know why, but it seems Ford changed the position of the bolt slightly on the transmission and forgot to update the manual.

After many hours of searching online, I found out there's this interlocking mechanism in a manual transmission, which prevents more than one gear to be selected at once. The interlock mechanism has a bolt with a spring inside and a sphere at the end which pushes the mechanism inside. After extensive comparing and thinking, I think this is it.

You can see a pretty similar bolt here for sale: https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/3022000970
There's also this site that offers an exploded view of the interlock mechanism on a Ford Ecosport 2014, which I guess uses the same engine and transmission, but rather at the exact spot at my car. https://ford.7zap.com/en/car/181/no/66/ ... 938/73454/

I also found that, since this bolt is located at an extremely low point, it could be used as a drain plug if ever one wanted to change the transmission oil. However, this isn't advised, since the interlock mechanism could come misaligned after reassembly.

The torque value I could infer is 25N since this is the value on the workshop manual for this bolt on the other position.

Guess what my face would look like if I had drained the transmission fluid instead of the engine oil hahah.

Cheers!