Dank smell from aircon.

Any modifications/technical issues & tuning questions, help, suggestions & advice on;Maintenance, Servicing, Suspension, Interior, Exterior, ECU's, Alarms, ICE?. Help is at hand in here. Need for speed? Got a question or just browsing for ideas? Or see if your knowledge can help someone out.

Basically, if you have a problem or question about your Fiesta Mk7 - Post in here!
FezZS
Fiesta Mk7 Poster
Fiesta Mk7 Poster
Drives: Mk7 Zetec S Petrol
Refferer: Google

Dank smell from aircon.

Post by FezZS »

Hi all,

I've not long had my Zetec S and 2 posts have gone up! Really minor teething problems that are stopping it from being perfect!

I mentioned my erratic parking sensors in a previous post and my only other problem is a horrible smell from the aircon.

When I viewed the car at the dealer, it was mint except for the interior was a bit dirty and it stunk of horse ****. Well it smelt like somebody had sat in the car after mucking out a stable. I assumed it may have been the previous owner's hobby or something and the dealer promised a full valet so I brushed it aside.

When I collected the car the smell was still there but much more faint. Then on the drive home I put the aircon on and got a face full of the smell again. Therefore i've come to the conclusion that the smell is coming from the aircon somewhere. I noticed from documentation that the car had been sitting at the dealership for 2 months before I bought it so extended periods of non-use may be to blame.

What's the best way to 'flush' out the system? I didn't want to start spraying dettol down the vents in case I mess something up :)

Thanks,

{text-align: center;}
mike77
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Drives: Fiesta 1.6 TDCI
Refferer: Search engine

Re: Dank smell from aircon.

Post by mike77 »

Hi there, it may just be mould/ bacteria growing in the system, there are products you can buy that will help eradicate the pong. Take a look at these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIR-CON-BOMB- ... 4ab6b8ea04 its an 'air con bomb',,, its basically an areosol that you place in the car, set the air con blowers to re-circulate (I think) and set it off and shut the door, full instructions will come with the product. I used one once on one of my old cars, and it worked a treat.

Jamesk07
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: Fiesta Mk7 Titanium 1.6TD
Refferer: Google

Post by Jamesk07 »

Just based on my recent experience of one of these cleaning aerosols, it hasn't got rid of the air-con smell in my car. It definitely has improved it, but it certainly hasn't got rid of it totally... It may be worth seeing, especially as yours sounds particularly nasty, if there is a professional solution to this? For example, do garages who offer re-charge/leak checks also run a full cleaning process on the system? This is what I'm going to look into as mine could also do with a re-gas.

JackClargo
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: Fez mk7 zetecs petrol
Refferer: good old google

Post by JackClargo »

I would get it re gassed mate should cost around £40