Brakes Binding (HELP)

Any modifications/technical issues & tuning questions, help, suggestions & advice on;Maintenance, Servicing, Suspension, Interior, Exterior, ECU's, Alarms, ICE?. Help is at hand in here. Need for speed? Got a question or just browsing for ideas? Or see if your knowledge can help someone out.

Basically, if you have a problem or question about your Fiesta Mk7 - Post in here!
Robbie73
Fiesta Mk7 Poster
Fiesta Mk7 Poster
Drives: Fiesta Titanium 1.6 TDCI
Refferer: Search Engine

Brakes Binding (HELP)

Post by Robbie73 »

HI all

I took my car into Rates (Grays) yesterday 6/9/13 for its annual service and was told the front discs need replacing and the pads were 80 - 90% worn.

The issue is now the car feels as if its towing a anchor, which was not the problem before it went in, I took it back and the technician said its because the pads are so worn that there now sticky, I personally think they have done something? as they were fine before they touched the car.

Does anyone know if I am being feed a load of waffle? or can this happen?

PS. I know they have touched the braking system as the hand brake is now back to full lock on 3 notches.

{text-align: center;}
jasonl1599
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: Titanium 1.6 TDCI

Re: Brakes Binding (HELP)

Post by jasonl1599 »

Hi,
I took my wife's ford ka to ford dealer and exactly the same happened. Discs and pads 'needed' replacing and when we drove it home to source 'cheaper' labour, felt like would come to complete stop if let off accelerator.
They did something when checking it, but question is was it intentially or unintentionally. No one knows unless someone on here works in dealer I guess?

Robbie73
Fiesta Mk7 Poster
Fiesta Mk7 Poster

Post by Robbie73 »

I suspect they have done something intentionally, especially as Ford Dealers are known for up selling, and the car was perfect when I took it in. I am taking it to a garage that I trust and am getting them too look at it and get a second opinion!

jasonl1599
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular

Post by jasonl1599 »

thats what i did...turned out i needed to replace the pads anyway as athough car had only done 12k, the pads had worn with massive grooves in them and were not making full contact with the discs..while i was at it i replaced the discs also. still a lot cheaper than the £175 ford were quoting me to do both.

Robbie73
Fiesta Mk7 Poster
Fiesta Mk7 Poster

Post by Robbie73 »

Update!! the discs were worn badly on the back plate, so much so you could see actually see the difference, and the pads well there was not much material left on them, the garage could not make out why it was so stiff but checked the calipers and gave them a clean. but no normal service is resumed.

jasonl1599
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular

Post by jasonl1599 »

ah well, at least they are sorted now...fingers crossed for my MOT in December