Loud metallic ticking from front wheel

Any modifications/technical issues & tuning questions, help, suggestions & advice on;Maintenance, Servicing, Suspension, Interior, Exterior, ECU's, Alarms, ICE?. Help is at hand in here. Need for speed? Got a question or just browsing for ideas? Or see if your knowledge can help someone out.

Basically, if you have a problem or question about your Fiesta Mk7 - Post in here!
eyemdee
Fiesta Mk7 Poster
Fiesta Mk7 Poster
Drives: Fiesta 1.4 Titanium Auto

Loud metallic ticking from front wheel

Post by eyemdee »

I have had my Mk7 for just 4 weeks and took it for its first long trip to Yarmouth last Friday.

Setting out on Saturday afternoon (after the rain stopped) we noticed a loud ticking noise coming from the front of the car which sounded like something large stuck in a tyre as it varied according to road speed. After 2 or 3 stops to inspect tyres and remove anything visible, nothing had deflated but the noise would just not go away.

Travelled home on Monday and the noise seemed to subside, but after braking down a steepish hill close to home it was back with a vengeance!

Trolley jack out today and found the cause - a piece of what looked like road surface dressing stone trapped between the front discs and being ground away by the brake caliper with each rotation of the wheel. How it managed to get there, and remain there for 180 odd miles, beats me as it dropped out with just the touch of a finger.

If it can happen to me it will happen to someone else so I am posting this for when it does and hope it helps!