What is this tape on bodywork for?

Any modifications/technical issues & tuning questions, help, suggestions & advice on;Maintenance, Servicing, Suspension, Interior, Exterior, ECU's, Alarms, ICE?. Help is at hand in here. Need for speed? Got a question or just browsing for ideas? Or see if your knowledge can help someone out.

Basically, if you have a problem or question about your Fiesta Mk7 - Post in here!
eyemdee
Fiesta Mk7 Poster
Fiesta Mk7 Poster
Drives: Fiesta 1.4 Titanium Auto

What is this tape on bodywork for?

Post by eyemdee »

When I first looked at my Mk7 I thought it had a tiny scratch which turned out to be polish residue on the end of this piece of tape. I thought no more about it until I washed the car for the first time and wondered why this tape is there. It appears to be standard on 5 door Fiestas just below the rear door on both sides but why is it there?

Anybody know? If it is for paintwork protection I cannot see the point as the tape will surely chip as readily as the original bodywork would. Someone must know what it's for :think:

Last edited by eyemdee on Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

{text-align: center;}
jam_rs
Site Admin
Site Admin
Drives: Fiesta XR2i 2.3 Turbo
Refferer: Me! Im the Boss!

Re: What is this tape on bodywork for?

Post by jam_rs »

I would of thought that its for bodywork protection. That sort of area is quite suspect for rust, especially on early fords.
http://www.stevecookedjservices.co.uk - Mobile DJ Services- Herts & Essex
http://www.fiestamk7.com - A UK Based Forum Dedicated To The Fiesta Mk7

Anglia100e
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: Fiesta mk7

Post by Anglia100e »

I wondered the same and decided it was for protection of the bodywork but I really don't know.

eyemdee
Fiesta Mk7 Poster
Fiesta Mk7 Poster
Drives: Fiesta 1.4 Titanium Auto

Post by eyemdee »

Anglia100e wrote:I wondered the same and decided it was for protection of the bodywork but I really don't know.
Certainly looks like a bit of an afterthought when you look how it's cut - not even very straight on mine inside the door opening. I wonder if it has a part number? :lol: