USB Aggggghhhhh!

Any modifications/technical issues & tuning questions, help, suggestions & advice on;Maintenance, Servicing, Suspension, Interior, Exterior, ECU's, Alarms, ICE?. Help is at hand in here. Need for speed? Got a question or just browsing for ideas? Or see if your knowledge can help someone out.

Basically, if you have a problem or question about your Fiesta Mk7 - Post in here!
neilha
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: None yet...

USB Aggggghhhhh!

Post by neilha »

OK. I've got the car and love it. The USB however is winding me up. I'M using 320KB MP3 files. On a 2Gb stick fine. Same tracks on an 8GB drive gives endless errors. Then the 320 GB hard drive (maybe a tad greedy there) just refuses to play. I've stuck to the rules in the manual but it's still knackered. iPod is fine but I don't wan't to leave it in the car. Anyone know if you can check the Sony head unit firmware or can share their experiences, models of USB sticks then please do so. Any help appreciated. I know the files are OK so it's hardware, configuration or bad luck.

Cheers, Neil.

{text-align: center;}
Anglia100e
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: Fiesta mk7

Re: USB Aggggghhhhh!

Post by Anglia100e »

I have also had problems with the USB connection. I have found if i am scrolling back through the folders too quickly the system gets confused and stops recognising the USB at all. I have two sticks in the car and in my haste a few days ago scrolled back quickly and it just refused to work or even see there was a USB stick connected. I put in the second stick and that to was not seen by the car.

I tried turning off the ignition for about 5 minutes but that didn't work so I called the dealer for advice. They told me to leave the ignition off for an hour and that would work and it did. The only thing I can liken it to is if you try to open to many windows in xp to quickly the pc either slows down or freezes.

Not sure if that helps you but it may help someone in the future when searching for USB problems

neilha
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular

Post by neilha »

Thanks for the reply.

I've carried out some further investigation. I used an 8Gb Compact Flash card from my camera, put 550 MP3 -320Kb files on it and attached it via a Sandisk USB adapter. To my surprise it all worked file, files, playlists, the works so I know the issue isn't capacity, file size or layout on drive related which probably leaves just two options:

1. Power, the USB just can't provide enough power for some flash drives (Compact Flash 'may' use less power).

2. Speed of flash drive - the CF card is very quick so the car may be having issues when trying to read the 8Gb Sony USB drive which is causing issues. I've tracked down another make at a mates so once that appears I'll continue testing - who know maybe a faulty drive - unlikely based on experience

Anyway I've sorted myself out for now :D . The CF & adapter sit in the glovebox and the cable reaches OK.

The next trick is to try and sort out my hard drive. I may see if anyone I know has a small USB portable drive I can test.

I'll update as I go along. I know quite a few folk have had issues so I'll see if I can determine a minimum spec guide or something so you don't go wasting your cash!

Cheers, Neil.

jam_rs
Site Admin
Site Admin
Drives: Fiesta XR2i 2.3 Turbo
Refferer: Me! Im the Boss!

Post by jam_rs »

Is the USB drive a solid state one? Or is it a proper physical spinning one?
http://www.stevecookedjservices.co.uk - Mobile DJ Services- Herts & Essex
http://www.fiestamk7.com - A UK Based Forum Dedicated To The Fiesta Mk7

neilha
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular

USB Aggggghhhhh!

Post by neilha »

Seagate 7200 RPM job. 320Gb. I'm more frustrated with the 8Gb Sony USB pen drive. Maybe it's knacked !!

neilha
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular

Post by neilha »

So, I bagged a play.com 8Gb off flash drive off a mate and that works perfectly, if you switch from the Compact Flash card I was using to the new play.com one mid track it even remembers where it was up to (cool). So the Sony one is either greedy on power or knackered. I'll try to get something to test it with later. Then it's time to try and sort out the big hard drive issues.

On another front I've got the DRLs to fit next, sadly they are too big for the gaps in the front grille so I'm going to have to pull it off as they say and get my tool to widen the hole.

Cheers, Neil.

jam_rs
Site Admin
Site Admin
Drives: Fiesta XR2i 2.3 Turbo
Refferer: Me! Im the Boss!

Post by jam_rs »

I think the problem with the proper hard drive one might be that it can't draw enough power to spin it up. Could be worth getting a laptop harddrive and using a usb enclosure for that. However if the sony usb pendrive draws to much power then i can't really see it working.

Maybe worth a go.
http://www.stevecookedjservices.co.uk - Mobile DJ Services- Herts & Essex
http://www.fiestamk7.com - A UK Based Forum Dedicated To The Fiesta Mk7

neilha
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular

Post by neilha »

So, the story goes on...

Picked up a 250Gb (USB2.0 only) external drive (CORE by CnM) in Tesco's. It requires two USB ports one for power & data, one for power only, however, it works with a single port just fine and surprisingly the Fiesta is happy with it so that's 13,000 MP3 tracks ready to go...

Totally useless in reality as I'll be about a 150 years old if I ever get to the end of the playlist, however, makes me feel good that I have everything I've ever owned musically in my glovebox.

As it stands really happy. Nearly run the car in now so looking forward to giving it a bit more stick. I can see why people want more power, I reckon another 40BHP would be perfect. It's so light compared to my other car it's like driving a go kart - great fun!

I'll do a review at some point.

End of this thread - from me at least.

Cheers, Neil.

Anglia100e
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: Fiesta mk7

Post by Anglia100e »

Neil

Just out of curiosity you mentioned "nearly run in" what did your running in period consist of?

13000 tracks! Makes my 48 albums seem trivial :D

Cheers

Ken

neilha
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular

USB Aggggghhhhh!

Post by neilha »

Hi,

I gave it 500 miles without exceeding 3000RPM. Then started to exercise it a bit. Will use it fully once I get over a 1000 miles. You probably don't need to run in these days but it's nice to when you've just got a new one.

Cheers, Neil.