Battery Flat

Any modifications/technical issues & tuning questions, help, suggestions & advice on;Maintenance, Servicing, Suspension, Interior, Exterior, ECU's, Alarms, ICE?. Help is at hand in here. Need for speed? Got a question or just browsing for ideas? Or see if your knowledge can help someone out.

Basically, if you have a problem or question about your Fiesta Mk7 - Post in here!
broono83
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Drives: Fiesta
Refferer: google

Battery Flat

Post by broono83 »

Hi,

I recently have been experiencing flats on my (12 year old) battery for my Mk6 '02 Fiesta. The first time was afetr I accidentally left the cabin light on for a couple of days. Remarkably the car still started but the next time it was left in the driveway for a few days the batt was flat and it required jump starting. The battery will charge off the alternator (I measured 14V across battery while idling). With everything off including the engine I could watch the voltage on the battery drop from 12.20V by about 0.01V every couple of seconds.

At first I tried to measure a current draw with everything off using a magnetic loop ammeter on the positive batter wire, it was showing -7A but I didn't know whether to believe this figure. I disconnected the positive connection on the alternator but it made no difference to the reading.

After some YouTube-ing I tried to measure for any current draw with everything off using an inline ammeter between the negative battery terminal and the negative wire which I had disconnected but the value seemed to be just noise? Around 6mA??? I turned on the cabin light and it drew about 0.5A so I think I had the ammeter connected correctly?

Does this sound like the battery itself is gubbed or have I missed something else?

Thanks

{text-align: center;}
shabazmo
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: fiesta
Refferer: Search Engine

Re: Battery Flat

Post by shabazmo »

I am quite sure you have worked this out by now. The battery is a gonner after 12 years.
Ford Fiesta 2009. 1.4 petrol, 5 door, Titanium, Black, F&R park sensors, leather seats, Key free system, power starter button, bluetooth, USB, 7 spoke 16" alloys, rear electric windows, curtain airbags. Built 20 March Delivery 19 April 09. 55,000miles bought new.