Fitting Mk6 ST alloys

Any modifications/technical issues & tuning questions, help, suggestions & advice on;Maintenance, Servicing, Suspension, Interior, Exterior, ECU's, Alarms, ICE?. Help is at hand in here. Need for speed? Got a question or just browsing for ideas? Or see if your knowledge can help someone out.

Basically, if you have a problem or question about your Fiesta Mk7 - Post in here!
Shalebing

Fitting Mk6 ST alloys

Post by Shalebing »

Does anyone know if the centre hole in the Mk7 Zetec S alloy is the same size as the Mk6 ST alloy? - see pics below for the type of wheels I mean.

I have fitted winter tyres to a set of Mk6 ST alloys I had spare from my previous car as I was convinced they would fit my Zetec S OK. When I came to fit them to the car today they were very snug on the hub, in fact I couldn't even get them to sit on the hub by hand and had to depend on the wheel nuts to pull them on fully. I have put a smear of copper grease on the hub to aid getting them back off. I thought all Fiesta alloys had a centre hole diameter of 65mm? I tried measuring this on both types of wheel and they certainly both seem to be 65mm. The ST wheels have recently been refurbed and powder coated and this is the first time they have been fitted since - could this be a factor in the tightness? :?
Attachments
alloy_zetecS.jpg
alloy_zetecS.jpg (200.39 KiB) Viewed 4046 times

{text-align: center;}
DGZS
Fiesta Mk7 Major Contributor
Drives: Fiesta ZS
Refferer: google suggestion

Re: Fitting Mk6 ST alloys

Post by DGZS »

They should go on ok. Powder coating could make them a bit tight depending how thick it is. I had a set of ST170 wheels powder coated for my ZS and two of them are a tight fit because of the refurb.

Shalebing

Post by Shalebing »

Cheers mate. Just needed some reassurance that they should be OK. I'd hate to get a puncture on a dark road and not be able to get the damn wheel off! ;)

DGZS
Drives: Fiesta ZS
Refferer: google suggestion

Post by DGZS »

All I do if there a bit tight to get off is once all the nuts are off push the wheel at the bottom with your foot into the wheel arch and it should come off.

friedchicken91
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: Fiesta Zetec 1.4 TDCI

Post by friedchicken91 »

You can also put some copper grease on the inside of the centre hole and also on the wheel bolts. This will reduce the chance of them seizing or rusting and act as a lubricant when removing. I did this on my previous car each time and worked a treat.

Shalebing

Post by Shalebing »

friedchicken91 wrote:You can also put some copper grease on the inside of the centre hole and also on the wheel bolts. This will reduce the chance of them seizing or rusting and act as a lubricant when removing. I did this on my previous car each time and worked a treat.
Thanks mate. Yes I did that and, as you suggest, have also put some on the wheel studs as I recently had the situation where one of the locking wheel nuts wouldn't budge as it had been done up too tight (not by me I must add). As I was in danger of chewing up the key socket, I eventually had to take it to the local Ford dealer who had to perform "surgery" on the wheel nut to get it off. I have since sworn that I don't want to be in that situation again and have used the copper grease and also torqued the wheel nuts to their correct setting.

lemotan

Post by lemotan »

I clean the hub with a steel brush from rust/dirt every time I change the wheels -it helps a lot.
In your case it could be that the wheel is painted inside the centre hole if yes just remove the paint with sand paper.
the grease will collect dust and may dry over time i wouldn't apply any
as for the nuts always use the original key (from the trunk) and tighten them your self this way you will be able to remove the wheel whenever needed without help