Air bag removal

Any modifications/technical issues & tuning questions, help, suggestions & advice on;Maintenance, Servicing, Suspension, Interior, Exterior, ECU's, Alarms, ICE?. Help is at hand in here. Need for speed? Got a question or just browsing for ideas? Or see if your knowledge can help someone out.

Basically, if you have a problem or question about your Fiesta Mk7 - Post in here!
Hotrodder
Fiesta Mk7 Poster
Fiesta Mk7 Poster
Drives: Fiesta mk7 2012 studio
Refferer: Search Engine

Air bag removal

Post by Hotrodder »

I've just bought a leather steering wheel for my 2012 fiesta...I assumed the air bag would just have bolts from the back of the wheel to undo....wrong!
Do I really have to cut holes in the sides of the steering wheel base to get the airbag clips undone? Seems a bit brutal plus the leather wheel I bought hasn't been butchered in this way, so it came off somehow!

The other question is regarding de activating the airbag: I assume again that just disconnecting the battery and waiting a bit would be safe.
On enquiring at my local ford dealer they informed me that they would charge £80 to do the swap and on asking why a fifteen min job was eighty quid they started on about having it re programme the airbag on the computer....
Is it me?...can anyone please confirm this is as dubious as it sounds...

I've changed airbag steering wheels on past cars so am reluctant to pay for something i could do myself
Cheers guys

{text-align: center;}
shabazmo
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: fiesta
Refferer: Search Engine

Re: Air bag removal

Post by shabazmo »

How did you get on. I know that the steering wheel leather has to be cut to get the steering wheel off. Don't know much about the programming. I would have thought that the programme module would be attached to the steering column and not the steering wheel.
Ford Fiesta 2009. 1.4 petrol, 5 door, Titanium, Black, F&R park sensors, leather seats, Key free system, power starter button, bluetooth, USB, 7 spoke 16" alloys, rear electric windows, curtain airbags. Built 20 March Delivery 19 April 09. 55,000miles bought new.