The Fiesta MK7 Bulb Changing Guide

Guides to help you with certain aspects of your car. Please do not start a new topic asking questions in here, it will help keep the guides organised! If you do have a guide, please contribute it!
Shalebing

Re: The Fiesta MK7 Bulb Changing Guide

Post by Shalebing »

Just changed headlight bulbs (both main and dip) + sidelights this morning and your guide was a big help. Surprisingly I had no problems with the "dreaded" clip but what I did find a real nightmare was fitting the H1 main beam bulbs. Firstly there isn't much room to manoeuvre the bulb and then the wire retaining clip hinges away into the depths of the lamp and trying to fish it out and clip it back into place without disturbing the position of the bulb had me using some choice language! :o Couldn't they have hinged it outwards towards the poor sod trying to change bulbs? Would have made life so much easier.

{text-align: center;}
Seans_Fes_Mk7
Fiesta Mk7 Major Contributor
Drives: Mk7 Style +
Refferer: Search Engine

Post by Seans_Fes_Mk7 »

Shalebing wrote:Just changed headlight bulbs (both main and dip) + sidelights this morning and your guide was a big help. Surprisingly I had no problems with the "dreaded" clip but what I did find a real nightmare was fitting the H1 main beam bulbs. Firstly there isn't much room to manoeuvre the bulb and then the wire retaining clip hinges away into the depths of the lamp and trying to fish it out and clip it back into place without disturbing the position of the bulb had me using some choice language! :o Couldn't they have hinged it outwards towards the poor sod trying to change bulbs? Would have made life so much easier.
I think they just enjoy us struggling! I finally managed to do it after a very long swearing match with myself, and constantly dropping the holding clip under the wires and having to fish for them, then not get the bulb in the right place to clamp down. Oh the joys of motoring -.- In the end i made a friend clip them back on as i was tearing hair :lol:

Shalebing

Post by Shalebing »

I'm old enough to remember when you just put your hand down behind the headlight (in situ), pulled off the plug, pulled out the old bulb and put a new one in. None of this taking the headlight off the car malarkey. :)

Mind you, when you see the headlight unit off the car - it's a big fecker isn't it? :o

Seans_Fes_Mk7

Post by Seans_Fes_Mk7 »

Yeah lol, you don't expect it when it's actually on the car!
On another note, this is probably a bit stupid, but since i've never needed to change a bulb on the rear lights of any car i've encountered, how do i go about changing it on the mk7? Does the light need to be removed off the car again?

Ben...
Drives: Zetec S TDCi
Refferer: jam_rs

Post by Ben... »

Ye light needs to be removed

Open Boot
Reach to roughly behind the rear light on whichever side at the top of the carpeted area
You'll find a long plastic plastic wing nut (I suppose that's what you'd call it)
Unscrew this (quite a long thread)
DON'T DROP IT
Then use a correct size torx driver to unscrew the 2 torn screws on the face of the light
Then it pops out
Unplug loom
Unclip bulb holder from light
Change appropriate bulbs
Replace
Ford Fiesta Zetec S 2009 Panther Black
Project->http://fiestamk7.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10

Seans_Fes_Mk7

Post by Seans_Fes_Mk7 »

Brilliant, thanks alot :)
Means i can finally get around to de-tangoing the rear :D

leachy
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: Fiest Zetec S TDCI
Refferer: Google

Post by leachy »

Anyone got any tips on changing the front fog bulbs and rear number plate bulbs? I've ordered some 'whiter' bulbs and having looked at the owner's guide the rear number plate lamps seem to have a knack to them that's not clear from the instructions.

Also, the fog lights are apparently not user serviceable which I can't believe is true.

Mark

DGZS
Drives: Fiesta ZS
Refferer: google suggestion

Post by DGZS »

leachy wrote:Anyone got any tips on changing the front fog bulbs and rear number plate bulbs? I've ordered some 'whiter' bulbs and having looked at the owner's guide the rear number plate lamps seem to have a knack to them that's not clear from the instructions.

Also, the fog lights are apparently not user serviceable which I can't believe is true.

Mark
Cant really tell you the proper way to change the fogs, like you say the manual says not user serviceable. When I did mine there was just a lot of swearing, wiggleing them about, a bit of force and sticking a screwdriver in the gaps and eventually they came off. Nearly broke one though! Dont know if this helps, hopefully someone will be able to tell you the correct way to do it.

Blueoval09
Drives: Fiesta Zetec S

Post by Blueoval09 »

Easiest way to do the front fogs is take the headlights out and access them from above, thats how i changed mine, only takes a couple of minutes (just make sure the bulbs are seated properly or you'll get fogging inside the lamp)

leachy
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: Fiest Zetec S TDCI
Refferer: Google

Post by leachy »

Excellent. I figured it would be relatively easy with a bit of common sense applied.