EGR blanking - 1.6 TDCI 95

Guides to help you with certain aspects of your car. Please do not start a new topic asking questions in here, it will help keep the guides organised! If you do have a guide, please contribute it!
tonyk
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Refferer: google

EGR blanking - 1.6 TDCI 95

Post by tonyk »

A quick guide to help peeps fit a blanking plate to the 1.6 TCDI 95 (DPF). The merits of this are all over the internet so I'm not going into the details but for £4 and a bit of time you will improve the life of your engine and the driving experience.

I am unsure if the non-DPF is the same but feel free to have a go and post up a photo.

Time
1 hour

Tools
Sockets 8mm, 10mm, 15mm.
Ratchet spanner 8mm.
Flat head screwdriver
Blanking plate (Ebay)

First, headlights removed for access to the scuttle trim bolts, as per this guide. You don't have to totally remove the lights, once the bolts are out you should be about to move the light to access the trim bolts.

Next, remove the clips holding the top scuttle (x6) with a flat bladed screwdriver, both wipers (Plastic cap & 15mm nut), and disconnect the windscreen rubber trims attached the ends of the scuttle.

The lower scuttle is the final piece to remove (x4 10mm bolts) accessed under the headlights and on top of the bulkhead.
You should now have this.

The EGR is located down the back of the engine, follow a silver ribbed pipe (wrapped in black netting) off the inlet manifold to find the end you are going to blank.

You have to loosen x2 bolts(8mm) to be able to slip the plate into place. The top bolt (highlighted) can by accessed with a socket but the bottom has a bracket & pipe in the way so can only undone by spanner (a ratcheting spanner makes life easier).

Both bolts (top in the circle) will need to be undone enough for the plate to slip over a nut (square) which prevents the plate from slipping in straight. Aim for the top bolt and swing the plate down to meet the bottom bolt.

Once the plate is in, redo the bolts and go for a drive before refitting the scuttles. The engine will be louder but should pull better from about 1.5k. A loud whistle at 3k is a sign of a leak so check the plate is correctly seated and the bolts are tight. If your are good, refit everything else.

Top tips
Ratchet spanner was a lifesaver.

Do not remove the bottom EGR bolt, it is a pig to get back in though it does make fitting the blank easier.

Undo the undertray, x3 screws along the front, it'll help when you drop the plate down the back of the engine.

The results will improve over time as the ECU twigs the extra cold air. (I run Shell Nitro and Millers EcoMax so I only saw a small increase in pick up.)

The engine will idle louder.

No one has reported a management light with this mod on this engine yet.

{text-align: center;}
RESBALADOR
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Drives: Mk7 1.4 TDCI
Refferer: Internet

Re: EGR blanking - 1.6 TDCI 95

Post by RESBALADOR »

Thank you man.

Is it similar to the 1.4 tdci engine? I am a little noob with the piston engine type.

Do you detects any improves?

BookmanJr
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Drives: Mk7 fiesta zs tdci
Refferer: Google

Post by BookmanJr »

Thanks for the guide mate tried doing this today and all went well until i had to get on the bottom bolt. How did you get around that as even with a ratchet spanner struggled as there was loads of pipework in the way? Cheers mate

wesleyhaseldine
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Drives: Fiesta zetec s tdci
Refferer: search engine

Post by wesleyhaseldine »

I've followed this guide but still having trouble with the bottom bolt, either with a regular or ratchet spanner I don't have the room to undo it...can anyone help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk