Nexus 7 Custom Mount

Show off your current Fiesta Mk7 project or daily driver. Or maybe you just fancy posting some pictures of your cleaned Fiesta Mk7!
skyrice
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: WS Zetec?
Refferer: googled fiesta mk7

Nexus 7 Custom Mount

Post by skyrice »

I've owned my mk7 for a bit over 6 months now and have been wanting to either put in a dual-din sound system/gps or mount a tablet do do the same. After much scouring of the interwebz I've decided to head down the tablet route (it should work out cheaper and its more versatile). I picked up a new nexus 7 3g wifi 32gb nice and cheap and have ordered most of the rest of kit I will need to install.
I found an ebay trader that sells a complete dual din system that replaces the top screen panel and managed to order just the surrounding panel without the rest for USD$65 +$25 shipping.

Ebay Linky
The plan is to modify that panel to mount the nexus 7 using some magnets whilst still keeping the original little red screen mounted in behind it. I've also ordered a couple of different hard cases for the nexus 7 to mount the corresponding magnets. Not sure which one will suit best and since they're only a couple of $ each an extra isn't going to break the bank.

Spend so far (AUD):
Nexus 7 $314 (for those in the land of Oz looking for one it's from The Goodguys)
Dash Panel $89 -ish (current conversion from USD to AUD is pretty much 1:1)
2 hard cases + screen protector (Anti-Glare) + OTG cable $10
-----------------
$413 and counting.... should be able to keep it under $500.

Still need to buy magnets for mounting the nexus 7. Possibly will need some sort of wrap or need to do some fibreglass work for the panel to get rid of the sd card slots in the top. Hopefully there isnt too much modification required to get the nexus 7 to fit in there nice n snug.
Also might need to spend on a GPS app if the free ones don't work too well.

Now I just have to wait impatiently for all the bits and pieces to arrive so I can get it all modified and installed.

{text-align: center;}
skyrice
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular

Re: Nexus 7 Custom Mount

Post by skyrice »

Decided to go with a vinyl wrap for the panel. Hopefully bought enough to do the whole centre section.

Ebay Linky Also bought the magnets for mounting the nexus7. Which should end up somewhere between $10-$15 just waiting on postage cost.

That takes me to about $460 so far.. Might end up slightly over budget by the end.

skyrice
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular

Re: Nexus 7 Custom Mount

Post by skyrice »

The parts are starting to show up. Vinyl wrap and the custom panel have shown up. The panel is definately going to require some modification to fit the Nexus 7. The area for the screen is going to need about an inch height and width added to accomodate the nexus 7. Should just fit within the extremities of the panel width but it does mean I'm going to have to try my hand at fibreglassing. Never done it before, I'm glad its on an extra panel so I can put the original back in if I make a mess of it.
Also ended up getting the dock for the tablet as I have seen someone incorporate that into their mount. Means I don't have to manually connect the audio and usb cables. Just place the tablet on the dock and it's good to go. This too will require some modification to fit the tablet with case. Will also still use magnets on the top to prevent the tablet from toppling forward under acceleration.

Getting awfully close to the $500 budget with the dock costing $49.

Anybody done any fibreglassing that can give me some pointers? So far google and youtube results all contradict each other in some way.
Don't want the end result to turn out like this.