"brake system malfunction" on startup

Any modifications/technical issues & tuning questions, help, suggestions & advice on;Maintenance, Servicing, Suspension, Interior, Exterior, ECU's, Alarms, ICE?. Help is at hand in here. Need for speed? Got a question or just browsing for ideas? Or see if your knowledge can help someone out.

Basically, if you have a problem or question about your Fiesta Mk7 - Post in here!
jazzi
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Drives: mk7 1.4 16v
Refferer: google

"brake system malfunction" on startup

Post by jazzi »

Hi everyone, new to the forum and joined on behalf of the fiancee.

She has a 58 reg 1.4 16v petrol and once every few starts it bongs a few times and says brake system malfunction on the radio/info display. only appears for a couple of seconds then disappears. the brakes feel fine and work very well, the abs works fine, i went out and tested this myself as i wanted to make sure the car was safe for her.

I have a code reader which shows no currently logged or historic fault codes, I had a quick search through the forum but only found 1 post and it had no replies so thought i would try my luck and see if anyone had an idea as to the cause or solution.

Thanks in advance, Jason

{text-align: center;}
everson38
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Drives: Ford fiesta mk7
Refferer: Internet research

Re: "brake system malfunction" on startup

Post by everson38 »

jazzi wrote:Hi everyone, new to the forum and joined on behalf of the fiancee.

She has a 58 reg 1.4 16v petrol and once every few starts it bongs a few times and says brake system malfunction on the radio/info display. only appears for a couple of seconds then disappears. the brakes feel fine and work very well, the abs works fine, i went out and tested this myself as i wanted to make sure the car was safe for her.

I have a code reader which shows no currently logged or historic fault codes, I had a quick search through the forum but only found 1 post and it had no replies so thought i would try my luck and see if anyone had an idea as to the cause or solution.

Thanks in advance, Jason
Hey Jason.

Welcome to forum and sorry to hear ur having probs. My thoughts are it could be something as simple as a dodgy abs wire / brake wear indicator wire. Since its not bringing up mo codes the next step would be to jack car up and take of wheels and see for any type of damage. Wiggle wires around with ignition on to see if it 'dings' again. Check brake fluid level / any sensors or wire you may have attached to brake fluid reservoir. I would panic but just before every trip ensure your brakes are working with a few pumps and some slow speed driving and sudden stops to test out.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

everson38
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular

Post by everson38 »

jazzi wrote:Hi everyone, new to the forum and joined on behalf of the fiancee.

Thanks in advance, Jason
Also I would assume 'brake malfunction' S going to include hand brake / rear pads or drum. So again you should test out hand brake and inspect cables. Look at rear 0ads and drums see if anything damaged on them

jazzi
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Newbie (Welcome Me!)

Post by jazzi »

Thanks for the welcome and the quick replies :)

Tbh that was going to be my next port of call, but likely wont be until the weekend. had the fingers crossed for the "oh its always this" response haha, but alas the hunting shall begin as soon as an opportunity arises.

thanks again, and if im not back on here before monday, happy new year.

everson38
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular

Post by everson38 »

jazzi wrote:Thanks for the welcome and the quick replies :)

Tbh that was going to be my next port of call, but likely wont be until the weekend. had the fingers crossed for the "oh its always this" response haha, but alas the hunting shall begin as soon as an opportunity arises.

Well hopefully others will input there own feedback as it's my brother who ons fiesta so don't have it day in and out but just keep eyes peeled for responses as this a pretty good forum and people usually chip in

everson38
Fiesta Mk7 Regular
Fiesta Mk7 Regular

Post by everson38 »

Hey jazzi just seeing how you managed to get on with your problem? Let me.know matey. :-)

jazzi
Newbie (Welcome Me!)
Newbie (Welcome Me!)

Re:

Post by jazzi »

everson38 wrote:

Hey jazzi just seeing how you managed to get on with your problem? Let me.know matey. :-)

Hi sorry for the slow reply. Work has been hectic. So in a moment of madness i decided to fill up the brake fluid reservoir. It was sat about halfway between min and max so never thought this could be the issue. Its half sorted it that the brake system error doesnt come up anymore however the abs malfunction error does still occasionally pop up so still have to track down the cause of that. But half way there is better than no way there. So yeh KEEP BRAKE FLUID AT MAX should be in the manual under problem solving lol